For the 13 000 Australian women who are diagnosed with breast cancer each year, diagnosis, surgery, chemotherapy and radiation are just some of the many steps on the road to recovery which can be long and frightening.
Whether your 5km run is a big challenge or a walk in the park, it's an opportunity to celebrate your health and fitness whilst providing hope and support for women with breast cancer, so they will have the chance to enjoy those life experiences we take for granted.
If you haven't yet joined the running community and set up your unique fundraising page, it's simple to get started by registering for the event and then click the link to start your fundraising page. You'll find that it's easy to fundraise that your friends, family and colleagues will be pleased to support your efforts.
Something to think about; an inspirational story from our latest Ambassador, Kalista Gill....
Meet Jill Costello...
International Women's Day Fun Run/Walk ambassador Jill Costello was your normal stay-at-home mum of two young adult children when she was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 47 - a diagnosis that came as a shock.
Jill immediately had surgery and then underwent treatment at Mater Private Breast Cancer Centre with radiation and hormonal therapy, visiting every three weeks for blood tests and consultation with specialists.
Seven years later and cancer free Jill has developed severe arthritis in her feet - a side effect of the months of hormone therapy.
Mater chicks in pink
For the 5th year in a row, the Brisbane Road Runners Club has appointed Mater's chicks in pink program as a major beneficiary of the RACQ Insurance International Women's Day Fun Run/Walk.
Mater chicks in pink provide unique initiatives that help women being treated for breast cancer at Mater receive emotional, practical and social support both during and after the treatment, as well as help fund vital research at Mater Medical Research Institute.
Some of the many ways that Mater's chicks in pink has been able to make a difference include:
- Providing two specially fitted bras for every woman who undergoes a mastectomy at Mater.
- Providing wigs for those patients who experience hair loss due to chemotherapy.
- Supporting yoga classes for post-treatment stretching.
- Supporting the 'Mummy, Memories and Me' program for mothers with terminal breast cancer.
- Providing financial support to women who are receiving treatment - this can be as simply as providing car parking vouchers or cleaning services.
- Facilitating workshops using a Creative Arts Therapy approach for patients that provide emotional and social support.
Your donation of any size can help us:
- $10 will help us provide special Mater chicks in pink care packs to patients.
- $20 will help us provide car parking vouchers for patients when they most need it.
- $35 will help us provide house cleaning services.
- $50 will help us provide specialised counselling services for patients.
- $100 will help us purchase two special bras for women who have undergone mastectomies.
- $150 will help us purchase a wig for women who lose their hair during chemotherapy treatment.
- $500 will provide one month of art therapy classes for women undergoing breast cancer treatment.
Sunday, 9 March 2014
Naming Rights Sponsor